Speaking with Eloquence
- San Francisco, USA
Speaking with Eloquence
Like-minded participants join this programme, all with the clear intention to be driven by their tutors to study and practise under the individual stewardship of the teaching team. The large amount of individual coaching helps to provide students with the confidence and disposition to speak with eloquence.
Teachers push students to achieve to the maximum of their potential, and set milestones and goals for each student, with constant evaluation. This sets the pace for each learner to surpass their academic expectations and achieve more than they thought possible
The small number of students in each group provides participants with a learning experience tailored to each individual's needs, while benefiting from the participants' experiences and cultural diversity.
Students train to gain experience and acquire the skills necessary to present; they learn to express themselves, defend their ideas and captivate the attention of a small or large audience.
Objective of the stay
To develop speaking skills and strategies to communicate with eloquence and influence, to convince and inspire and engage with an audience.
English for Global Success
17 hours 55 minutes of tuition per week
The English for Global Success program is designed for career preparation and professional development. The unique advantage of the course is that it offers a mix of both closely tutored core skills and collaborative project work. There are four components of the course, Architecture of the Language, Clarity of Spoken Interaction, Writing Effective Professional Communication and Leadership Skills.
- Core skills lessons for grammatical structures, specialised vocabulary and syntax alongside communication skills workshops for delivering a powerful presentation, including voice projection and body language,
- Lesson content is academically challenging, and students interact with new ideas and approaches through the use of authentic materials from a range of academic subjects. Students are exposed to subjects such as literature, history and economics and acquire mastery of the language through broadening their knowledge of these topics.
- The discussion of current international affairs and topical issues in the classroom allows students to develop skills in speaking, expression and debate in tandem with widening their worldview.
- Courses include an element of teamwork, building expertise in interpersonal and intercultural communication, alongside problem-solving, critical thinking and leadership.
- Homework tasks are set daily to allow learners to reflect on and consolidate what they have learned in the day, as well as prepare for the next day.
Self-confidence and the ability to speak with eloquence in English, thanks to a strong mastery of the nuances of the language in context and powerful verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
Homestay accommodation is provided for all learners on a half-board basis. Homestay arrivals the Sunday before the course begins, and departures the Saturday after the course ends.
The experience of living in the city of San Francisco
San Francisco is a diverse and vibrant city, which is reflected in its cultural scene. The start-up culture in the city attracts talented, creative professionals from around the globe, while the city is also home to numerous arts, theatre and music organizations, cementing its status as one of America’s cultural, financial, and tech centers.
America’s largest modern art museum, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, is just the tip of San Francisco’s cultural iceberg. The city is also home to one of the country’s largest performing arts complexes, hosting the San Francisco Ballet, the San Francisco Opera and the San Francisco Symphony, alongside numerous smaller art and performance venues which highlight a diverse mix of genres and styles. Food culture is strong in San Francisco, with the diverse make-up of the city affording it a world leading reputation in all types of cuisine from local delicacies to international specialities, and a seemingly endless supply of cafes and restaurants to sample.
San Francisco has a strong sporting culture, with several major-league sports teams located in and around the city, as well as numerous parks and sports clubs.
Students arriving into San Francisco have the option of either San Francisco or Oakland International airports. Both airports are well-connected to the city through San Francisco’s extensive public transport options, and there are direct trains and shuttles from each airport to the downtown area of the city. Alternatively the school can arrange a private taxi transfer.
The ‘City by the Bay’ is a beautiful mix of cultures, flavors, and styles. OISE San Francisco students have many opportunities to explore the neighborhoods and experience the activities that encapsulate the unique sophisticated and cultured vibe of San Francisco. Cultural activities include city tours and neighborhood walks, tours of local universities including Berkeley and Stanford and visits to museums and galleries.
The price includes 17 hours 55 minutes of tuition per week, a social programme, all learning materials and a certificate at the end of the course.