Prepare for Exam Success
- Boston, USA
Prepare for Exam Success
The American English Modular Program is a flexible program in which learners can choose the modules suited to their learning requirements and the relevant visa status.
- Students train to gain experience and acquire the skills necessary to use the language at a high level - teachers push students to achieve to the maximum of their potential, and set milestones and goals for each student, with constant evaluation. This sets the pace for each learner to surpass their academic expectations and achieve more than they thought possible.
- The small number of students in each group provides participants with a learning experience tailored to each individual's needs, while benefiting from the participants' experiences and cultural diversity. Small class sizes also allow for a large amount of individual coaching, which helps to provide students with the confidence and disposition to master the language in a stimulating environment.
- The course exposes learners to a range of authentic sources from different academic subjects, piquing their intellectual curiosity alongside exposing them to different styles and registers, as well as new vocabulary and structures. Students debate, discuss and analyse these sources, leading to increased confidence and fluency alongside enhanced critical thinking skills.
- Exam focus for students who wish to prepare for the IELTS, Cambridge or TOEFL exams.
Objective of the stay
To prepare for success in the IELTS, Cambridge or TOEFL exams
The American Modular Progam: Exam Focus
Module 1 + Module 2 with either Module 3 or Module 4 (21 hours)
Module 1 + Module 2 (16 hours)
Module 1 or Module 2 with Module 3 + Module 4 (18 hours)
Module 1 + Module 2 + Module 3 + Module 4 (26 hours)
- Comprehension and Expression (Module 1)
Students practice comprehension of reading and listening passages, build vocabulary, synthesize information, and express opinions.
- Accuracy (Module 2)
Language structures and lexis development to achieve an accurate use of grammar, idioms and vocabulary. It is complemented with work on a wide range of materials (reports, articles, studies) to sharpen the learner’s understanding of written documents.
- Critical Analysis (Module 3)
Develops the participant’s ability to analyze, catergorize and process information in English. Students apply critical thinking skills through the lens of current affairs by researching and evaluating texts.
- Spoken Assertiveness (Module 4)
A fluency skills session to improve pronunciation and to help the learner overcome inhibitions and group communication anxieties.
Confident use of the language
Achievement of desired score in the exam
Homestay accommodation is provided for all learners on a half-board basis. Homestay arrivals the Sunday before the course begins, and departures the Saturday after the course ends.
The Experience of Living in Boston
Boston Logan Airport is situated on the outskirts of the city, approximately 7km from OISE Boston.
Boston is a diverse and vibrant city, one of the oldest in the United States; and yet one of the most creative and forward-thinking.
Host to many world-class universities, a booming pharmaceutical industry, and several Fortune 500 companies, Boston is an ideal place for university students and professionals to reach for the highest levels of English proficiency.
With a history spanning over almost 400 years, Boston is one of the most culturally-rich cities in the United States. Having been site to several defining moments of the nation’s history, Boston offers visitors a wealth of museums and places of historical importance where they are able to gain a deep understanding of the city and its history and culture.
Music and the arts are well-supported in Boston, and students have a wide range of cultural entertainment to choose from, including world-class orchestras, ballets, theaters and galleries.
The cultural programme at OISE Boston is designed to expose students to the best of what the city has to offer. With a history spanning over almost 400 years, Boston is one of the most culturally-rich cities in the United States and students are exposed to this wealth of history through walking tours, visits to museums and galleries and trips to historic landmarks such as the USS Constitution ship. Students also benefit from the academic side to the city, and are able to visit the Harvard campus and participate in the unique Boston summer tradition of watching Harvard and MIT compete at the Head of the Charles Regatta, the world’s largest two-day rowing event from the banks of the Esplanade.
The price includes 16 - 26 hours of tuition per week, half-board homestay accommodation, a social programme, all learning materials and a certificate at the end of the course.