English for Individual Professions
- Oxford, England
English for Individual Professions
Like-minded participants join this programme, all with the clear intention to be driven by their tutors to study and practise under the individual stewardship of the teaching team. 5 hours per week of individual coaching tailored to student's precise requirements allows for a career-specific focus, including English for finance, medicine, business and law.
Teachers push students to achieve to the maximum of their potential, and set milestones and goals for each student, with constant evaluation. This sets the pace for each learner to surpass their academic expectations and achieve more than they thought possible
The small number of students in each group provides participants with a learning experience tailored to each individual's needs, while benefiting from the participants' experiences and cultural diversity.
Students train to gain experience and acquire the skills necessary to succeed in the international workplace, and move forward in their careers.
Objectives of the stay
To master the language for specific professional purposes.
The Quatorial + 5 programme
25 hours per week.
Very small groups equals a high level of tutor attention and a clarity of focus on the academic aims of the group. Suited to professional development and specialisation.
5 hours per week of individual tuition tailored to the student's precise professional goals.
- Core skills lessons which equip students with the necessary skills in grammar, comprehension and accuracy, and communication skills workshops which transform learners into bold and fluent users of the language.
- Lesson content is academically challenging, and students interact with new ideas and approaches through the use of authentic materials from a range of academic subjects. Students are exposed to subjects such as literature, history and economics and acquire mastery of the language through broadening their knowledge of these topics.
- The discussion of current international affairs and topical issues in the classroom allows students to develop skills in speaking, expression and debate in tandem with widening their worldview.
- Courses include an element of teamwork, building expertise in interpersonal and intercultural communication, alongside problem-solving, critical thinking and leadership.
- Homework tasks are set daily to allow learners to reflect on and consolidate what they have learned in the day, as well as prepare for the next day.
Achievement of a specific professional goal.
Staying in a homestay gives participants the chance to be fully immersed into the local culture of the destination, whilst also being able to practice the language in a relaxed and natural setting. No two students of the same mother tongue are placed with the same host, which enables students to broaden their scope in their use of the language and become familiar with expressing themselves. Homestay arrivals the Sunday before the course begins, and departures the Saturday after the course ends.
The Experience of Living in Oxford
For almost a millennium Oxford has been a hub of learning and academia.
A small university city, Oxford is easily navigable and students are quickly able to settle in and feel comfortable. The city has a bustling centre, with numerous shops, restaurants and cafes, as well as opportunities to explore the rich history and culture through museums, galleries and theatres. The centre of the city is also close to several parks and open spaces, allowing students to spend time outdoors and enjoying nature.
Oxford is a hub of history, culture and academia, and the school exposes its students to the best of the city. With over 1000 years of recorded history there is a wealth of culture for students to discover as part of the school’s cultural programme, including world-class museums and galleries, being inspired by the colleges of the university and exploring the historic streets. Students are also able to experience unique local activities such as punting, alongside trips to historic pubs and theatre and cinema trips. The school also organises walking tours to familiarise students with the city and give them a deep understanding of its rich history.
The price includes the hours of tuition per week, half-board accommodation in a homestay and a cultural programme.