Achieve Skills and Qualifications
- Bournemouth, England
Achieve Skills and Qualifications
Students train to acquire the skills necessary to use the language at a high level. Teachers set milestones and goals for each student, with constant evaluation. This sets the pace for each learner to surpass their academic expectations and achieve more than they thought possible.
The small number of students in each group provides participants with a learning experience tailored to each individual's needs, while benefiting from the participants' experiences and cultural diversity. Small class sizes also allow for a large amount of individual coaching, which helps to provide students with the confidence and disposition to master the language in a stimulating environment.
The course exposes learners to a range of authentic sources from different academic subjects, piquing their intellectual curiosity alongside exposing them to different styles and registers, as well as new vocabulary and structures. Students debate, discuss and analyse the content, leading to increased confidence, fluency and enhanced critical thinking skills.
Objective of the stay
To achieve specific qualifications for either further education or vocational training.
The Octorial programme
25 hours per week. Taught in groups of no more than 8 students.
Proximity to tutors leads to a collaborative and interactive programme. Learners are participative, engaged and make fast progress. Suited to university students who need to achieve specific qualifications for their academic or professional career.
The day is organised into morning lessons for core language skills and the afternoon Masterclass in which each student pursues their personal study objective, under the guidance of their tutor.
- Morning Core Skills lessons equip students with the necessary skills in grammar, comprehension and accuracy. The communication skills workshops give learners the confidence to be bold and fluent users of the language.
- Lesson content is academically challenging, and students interact with new ideas and approaches through the use of authentic materials from a range of academic subjects. Students are exposed to subjects such as literature, history and economics and acquire mastery of the language through broadening their knowledge of these topics.
- The discussion of current international affairs and topical issues in the classroom allows students to develop skills in speaking, expression and debate in tandem with widening their worldview. Project work builds expertise in interpersonal and intercultural communication, alongside problem solving, critical thinking and leadership.
- The afternoon session is The Masterclass. This session allows each student to focus on the accomplishment of their personal study objective such as the achievement of an academic qualification or the achievement of a specific vocational qualification. For students who need to achieve an English qualification such as the IELTS test or one of the Cambridge English exams this session is used to practise and revise for the exam.
- Homework tasks are set daily to allow learners to reflect on and consolidate what they have learned in the day, as well as prepare for the next day.
Achievement of the required qualifications in English together with a well-rounded general education inspired by the Liberal Arts.
Staying in a homestay gives participants the chance to be fully immersed into the local culture of the destination, whilst also being able to practice the language in a relaxed and natural setting. No two students of the same mother tongue are placed with the same host, which enables students to broaden their scope in their use of the language and become familiar with expressing themselves. Homestay arrivals the Sunday before the course begins, and departures the Saturday after the course ends.
For students who wish to make their own accommodation arrangements.
The experience of living in Bournemouth
Within easy reach of London and Oxford, Bournemouth offers excellent leisure and shopping facilities, including cinemas and a modern sports centre.
The price includes 25 hours of tuition per week, half-board accommodation in a homestay and a cultural programme.