Prepare for the IELTS exam
- Bournemouth, England
Prepare for the IELTS exam
Students train to gain experience and acquire the skills necessary to achieve their desired score in the IELTS exam. Teachers challenge students to achieve to the maximum of their potential, and set milestones and goals for each student, with constant evaluation. This sets the pace for each learner to surpass their academic expectations.
Students sit rehearsal tests under exam conditions. These are repeated as required to build confidence and familiarity with the exam.
Each student keeps a Learner Portfolio to encourage learning skills, self-assessment, and reflection. Individual coaching sessions allow students to monitor and improve their performance.
Small class sizes also allow for close tutor attention which provides students with confidence and familiarity in the exam format.
All students who successfully complete this course are eligible for a course certificate. Completion consists of submitting the final course assignment.
Homework tasks are set daily to allow learners to reflect on and consolidate what they have learned in the day, as well as prepare for the next day.
Objectives of the stay
To spend a school vacation stay in England preparing for the IELTS exam.
IELTS exam preparation
The tutor coaches the learner in the content of the exam and guides them with strategies for understanding and navigating the test questions. Assignments are set for homework and during lesson time there is repeated work on essay writing, vocabulary, comprehension and speaking practice.
Note Taking Skills
- Practice in taking notes and using notes to summarise listenings.
Skimming and scanning skills
- Search for a main topic, topic sentences, supporting details and concluding thoughts.
- Scanning for pertinent data such as names, dates, numbers etc.
Summarising and paraphrasing
- The student writes 3 or 4 sentence summaries of a short passage.
- The student must paraphrase a set of sentences in their own words.
- The student practises identifying information and data from charts and graphs.
- The use of the mind map to plan a piece of writing.
- Use of mind maps to plan the introduction to an essay.
- Developing the body of the essay.
- Understanding the importance of the controlling idea.
Polishing skills for the writing task and the speaking tasks
- Essay writing skills - checklist.
- Speaking test - final practice.
Cultural awareness & educational field trip
Students, through an inquiry approach, develop skills for understanding aspects of culture. Students will research a place to visit and, after doing so, they will present their findings and contrast them with their own culture.
By the end of this course, the student is expected to be able to:
- Take notes on a piece of listening.
- Summarise and paraphrase an unfamiliar passage of text.
- Plan, structure and write an essay of 500 words.
- Report verbally and in writing the data/information shown in diagrams and graphs.
- Speak in an interview situation for 5 minutes.
Homestay accommodation is provided. All meals included.
The Experience of Living in Bournemouth
Within easy reach of London and Oxford, Bournemouth offers excellent leisure and shopping facilities, including cinemas and a modern sports centre.
The course includes cultural activities such as excursions, social evenings, movie nights, book clubs, drama clubs and a wide choice of sports.
The price includes 30 hours of tuition per week, full-board accommodation and a fully-supervised cultural programme.
Transfer on arrival and departure
A meeting service is available to transfer students on arrival and departure.