English for International students

How to improve English for international students

Will I need to prove my English level to study at an English speaking university? Absolutely. Universities in UK and UK need proof of your English level to make sure that you can contribute to your course; and get the most out of your university experience.

As a foreign student, keeping up with your studies is paramount. Being able to participate in discussion as well as follow lectures is vital to your education. If you’ve already taken an English language test but want to improve your English listening skills to get the most out of lectures for example, finding a good language school with a program that suits your needs will come in handy. You can find courses that work on a range of academic skills, and which customise the course content to suit your interests, alternatively you could do English lessons one to one with an experienced teacher. This will be a great advantage as you can focus wholly on weaknesses in your English, however many students like to have a bit of both - a dynamic classroom environment with peers with as well as individual tutorials. This combination is offered by select language schools.

Test of English for international students

International students wanting to study in the UK, US or other English - speaking university need to provide proof of their English competence with a language certificate. The most widely accepted of these are the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and IELTS ( International English Language Testing System.) The TOEFL is more common in the US, and IELTS in the UK. Which to choose depends on a few other factors as well, so make sure you check which exam your university accepts, as some universities only accept one or the other. According to About Education, the greatest difference between the two is in the listening component; have a look at their website for more information on which test to choose.

English for international students in the UK

How to improve English for international students? One piece of advice if you want to learn fluent English is to engage with people from other countries than your own, even though someone from home can feel easier to talk to.

If you think you’ll have enough on your plate when starting university, consider doing a summer course before enrolling. Intensive English courses are a great introduction to both the language as well as the culture of your new country of residence, and will make the move much easier as well.

There are a number of scholarships for international students to study English, funded by the government and other sources according to the The Top Universities guide, where you will also find further information about what support is available for foreign students.